Skip to main content

Gluten-Free Banana Bread




Now before you start to think of the dry, dense baked goods that come to your mind when you think of the word "gluten-free", let me tell you, this banana bread defies all the norms! It's moist, fluffy, lightly sweetened with honey and PACKED with flavour and nutrients! The secret? CHICKPEA FLOUR (commonly known as "besan" in urdu)! This adds a ton of protein and fibre to the banana bread making it the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast. You can customise it to your liking by throwing in your favourite add ins (I chose walnuts but chocolate chips would be divine!). Special thank you to Monique from Ambitious Kitchen for giving me the idea. I have adapted her recipe, making a few tweaks, to adjust it to my liking.



INGREDIENTS:

4 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 heaping cup)
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups chickpea flour (beasan)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts/chocolate chips (optional)

METHOD:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2) In a medium bowl, sift together chickpea flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
3) In a large bowl, combine bananas, honey, vanilla extract, eggs, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar; mix until well combined. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in any of the optional add-ins.
4) Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until tester inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before inverting on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing. Store at room temperature for 2 days or int the fridge for 5 days.


NOTE:
This banana bread also freezes really well. Just slice it up and place in a heavy duty freezer safe bag and store for up to 6 weeks. When you're ready to eat, just microwave it for 30-45 seconds and enjoy. My favourite way is with a generous smear of peanut butter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How It All Began

It all started 5 years ago when I was 9. I still vividly remember the first treat I ever baked. It was a classic, rich, decadent chocolate fudge cupcake, from scratch. The minute I saw the spoon swirl in that smooth, dark batter I knew I had found my passion. I started off my baking journey by making a variety of cupcakes. I loved experimenting with the different flavours and get creative with the decoration. But small cupcakes started getting boring and weren't as satisfying as big cakes. I got bigger and bolder and started creating a line of delicious, indulgent cakes including cheesecakes, chocolate ganache, different flavours and various birthday cakes. All the positive feedback I was receiving really gave me more confidence to experiment an assortment of desserts that I would see michelin star chefs make on many TV shows, my favourite being MasterChef Australia. Before I knew it I found myself whipping up a collection of tarts, brownies, cookies, pies, pav

How To Make The Perfect Roast Chicken

We love a classic, juicy, crispy skin ROAST CHICKEN dinner in our house. Paired with crispy potatoes and a flavourful gravy, it makes for a super satisfying meal. It’s also surprisingly easy and requires minimal ingredients. You can even get creative with the flavours to customise your chicken to your liking. With a few tips and tricks, you’ll have the perfect dinner ready in no time! PREPARATION Get a chicken with a skin. DO NOT WASH the chicken! This can actually contaminate your kitchen sink area which is a greater health hazard. Any bacteria on the chicken will get killed once cooked. Also, washing the chicken adds extra moisture which prevents the skin from getting crispy. Next, pat the chicken very well, including inside the cavity, using paper towels to remove moisture to ensure the skin gets crispy. You also want to take a tooth pick and poke some holes all over the skin. Season the skin as well as the inside of the cavity liberally with salt and pepper. And that’s your basi

Strawberry Coconut Banana Bread

Here's another healthy banana bread recipe for you all to try! This is such a unique twist on classic banana bread. I came across this recipe on  Ambitious Kitchen's  website and at first, was quite skeptical about it because, although I love both strawberries and coconut, I was curious to see how those two flavours work together and, more importantly, how they work in a banana bread. I made a few adjustments to the recipe according to the ingredients I had at hand and to make it healthier and the rest was a moist, fluffy, delicious slice of heaven with the perfect amount of sweetness, hint of banana flavour, chunks of juicy strawberries, and flakes of coconut speckled throughout. One of the most genius creations EVER! This banana bread is so flavourful on its own that it doesn't even need a topping, as the strawberries, once baked, are like little pockets of jam in the bread. However, if you'd like to make this a more wholesome breakfast or more filling snack, sprea